This blog is not updated often enough. This blog often has typos in it because I post too quickly. If you follow it, you won't be bothered too often.
RSS

We are one tonight.

Interdependence: a reciprocal relation between interdependent entities. (http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=interdependence)
Collision: (physics) a brief event in which two or more bodies come together. "the collision of the particles resulted in an exchange of energy and a change of direction"(http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=collision) This doesn't mean the entites become one, but that they interact and affect each other.
Butterfly Effect: the phenomenon whereby a small change at one place in a complex system can have large effects elsewhere. (http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=butterfly%20effect)

I exist. Because I exist and I am sitting in this chair that means a few things: 1. You are not sitting in this chair. 2. If this chair was vacant that would mean that the total mass of the universe would be slightly different.
The point of this post will be simply this: everything effects everything. Me typing the letter "M" randomly in this post has changed the course of the world. The Butterfly Effect, which should be known as the Seagull Effect except for the fact that some dummy decided that butterflies were more poetic (obviously they had never been to Hull in October), is an idea that states that the most minuscule change in conditions can have massive effect on the outcome of a situation. This is a branch of chaos theory...which is so interesting and massive that I'll just say that one of its ideas is that a slight change in the originating conditions of something can completely change its outcome. (if I place a marble in a spot and let it role and then repeat the experiment placing the marble an inch to the left the outcome could be radically different.) Obviously the more simple the situation the smaller the change. That also means that the more complex the situation the larger the change.
Think of it. If everything affects everything that means that everything matters. If God had told Noah to put three lions onto the ark instead of two the state of the world today could be entirely different.

Liberty: The idea behind the political philosophy of Liberty (yes, it's a pronoun) is that we ought to have the freedom to do whatever we want (legally) as long as we do not harm (or affect) other people. Total Liberty is impossible outside of self-destruction...maybe not even that. Everything we do affects another person. If I go for a walk it may rain next week...if I don't go for a walk it might not, and yet it might. If I buy a deck of cards I could be changing someone's business forever. I would put them under or "negatively affect" another person harm "their liberty" How far should liberty go? How can I know what will and what will not affect someone else? Should I be put in jail for buying a deck of cards? I think my idea of Liberty is majorly flawed. I need to rethink myself. I know that some of it is right, but not all of it. Clearer definitions of hurt, affect, and power over self must be made.

Individualism: a belief in the importance of the individual and the virtue of self-reliance and personal independence(http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=individualism) Independence: freedom from control or influence of another or others (http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=independence)
Independence is a fairy tale. No, fairy tale is too good a word. That implies that it is a good impossibility not a bad one. It's bogus. It does not exist. We cannot change the fact that everything we do affects other people. And everything they do affects us. We cannot be independent. To attempt to do so is like believing cars do not exist, and therefore walking across an six lane highway won't be a problem. Grace has been saying this for years. People have been saying it for...a lot longer. God said that it was not good for man to live alone, so he created Eve. When that happened...man could no longer live alone whether he wanted to or not.

Community: (ecology) a group of interdependent organisms inhabiting the same region and interacting with each other. (http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=community)
I think it is overtly clear that people were meant to live in community.
Psalm 133:1 says "Behold, how good and how pleasant it is/For brothers to dwell together in unity! "
People matter. Not only because they take up physical space, or because they are unique, or because they affect us. But because they are. We are all connected to each other. We are all islands. But the waves that crash up against our shores and go back out to flood someone else's beach...that sounded a lot smarter in my head...but it works.

We are one and we are 6 billion. Everything affects everything. Everything matters. There is no random event, there can be no coincidences. Jimmy Eat World has a song called "Let it Happen" one of the lines is "Collision is such an ugly sound" I know I'm twisting their words for effect, but...collision is beautiful. The point there two bodies, or entities collide and affect one another is beautiful. God's way of ordering the universe is beautiful. No man is an island. And if he is, he isn't.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

4 comments:

Art said...

Mmm, that was delicious. (I wouldn't go so far as to say that it tasted like rain on my tongue, because that would be unoriginal. :P)

"But the waves that crash up against our shores and go back out to see flood someone else's beach..." I actually like that.

And yes, Liberty is confusing.

Your Friend Andrew said...

Yeah, actually, the first thing that popped into my head when I read that line was, "Wow, that is really cool." It sounded smart in my head as well.

I won't go as far as saying "Mmm, that was delicious," because now that would be unoriginal too.

Micah E. said...

The first thing that I thought when I read that line was "why is the word "see" in there?" But after that, I was like, oh wait, I don't care, it's profound and awesome anyway.

I've never thought to connect liberty and the butterfly effect, but now that you have... woah.

Grace Joan said...

mhm

(to all of it)
:)