This blog is not updated often enough. This blog often has typos in it because I post too quickly. If you follow it, you won't be bothered too often.
RSS

I'm thinking of what Danny said.

There are times when I suddenly see what Christianity, what life, is all about all over again. Last night was one of those times.

I went to the Hutchin's youth group because Katie was speaking there, giving her persuasive from this year in fact. After Katie gave her speech, we had mandatory hug time. That wasn't awkward at all. Well, a little, but not as much as I would have expected. By the way, mandatory hug time is when you must hug ten people, so there it is. I felt an instinct to at least introduce myself before hugging people though :P
So I come up to this guy, and I say "Hey, I'm Michael." He says "And I'm Dan, let's hug." He seemed like a pretty cool guy. Then almost directly after that, Dan gets up, and since it was (apparently) "teen takeover" week, he was preaching that day. The name of his talk: What's the point?
A while ago, Grace told me a little about a lecture at L'Abri by Danny Burbeck called "What are people for?" While this Danny was most likely not as articulate as Danny Burbeck was (and since I didn't hear that lecture I really don't know) I drew a parallel between the two talks. The second talked about, through much repetition, more "likes" than I'd care to count, and seeping charisma, how stuff, and the pleasures of life are meaningless. His talk was based on Ecclesiastes, a book that I love. The conclusion of this realization is a question: What are people for? Why are we here? What is it all about? (I can say one thing, it is not the Hokey Pokey.) Dan's final idea was from Ecclesiastes 12: 13

"The conclusion, when all has been heard, is: fear God and keep His commandments, because this applies to every person."

That does not answer the question of what we are for, but it tells us what we're supposed to do. At the center of it, is of course God. Here is where my moment of clarity comes in. I see myself as a machine. We'll do something simple: A printer. My job is to print. That's it. My fulfillment, my goal in life, is to print. Perhaps unfortunately, this printer is self aware, and can decide to spit paper out blank, or just refuse to print altogether. When I am doing anything other than printing, than I am not doing what I am supposed to do. We don't buy printers to shoot paper out at twenty miles an hour (though come to think of it, that sounds kind of awesome.) We buy them to print.
All I am supposed to do is fear God, and do what He tells me to do, that's it. Forget about everything else, that's it. As we were driving home, I thought about this: if someone were to ask me what my life was about, all I could do was say that it was about God. Or show them what it was about. Regardless of my creativity, what I enjoy, what matters to me, even if I do not love God as I should, He is the center. He cannot not be. Even if He is not the center of my mind, He is what matters. My life's purpose is to do what He tells me to do. Isn't that simple!? Easy? No. Simple? Absolutely. Living is simple.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

5 comments:

Micah E. said...

In a way, whether we choose to or not, we give glory to God. We cannot help but display his power and majesty. Perhaps suicide is terrible to us because it is the ultimate rebellion against our purpose, the only act we make that appears to utterly defy our reason for being. ...but even then, God is glorified, because our very ability to rebel comes from him.

Art said...

:)

Colleen would hate the Hutchins' youth group.

I love Ecclesiastes, too. Now that sounds lame, since of course everyone should love the Bible. :P

"Perhaps unfortunately, this printer is self aware, and can decide to spit paper out blank, or just refuse to print altogether." Reminds me of Joanna.

I'm not really saying anything useful, except that I agree, and I really loved this post. :)

Hayley said...

I missed MHT annnnd teen takeover?! [AND seeing you guys?!] what the DEUCE?! *sigh*

This is the conclusion I come to at the end of every random struggle with God, over and over and over again. The simplicity of the idea is so humbling, and how we manage to overcomplicate the execution.

Kaitlyn said...

Michael, I really like this post. It was meaningful (yes, I know we had the conversation about everything being meaningful...but you know what I'm implying).

We need to hear stuff all over again. I love the last part..."Living is simple."

Lis said...

" (though come to think of it, that sounds pretty awesome.) "

:mind spinning: