This blog is not updated often enough. This blog often has typos in it because I post too quickly. If you follow it, you won't be bothered too often.
RSS

The Chou Effect.

Define: You. You is the second-person pronoun in Modern English. 

Define: Chew. A wad of something chewable as tobacco.

As you can see there is a distinct difference between these two words. Throughout my entire music listening career I have silently noticed and accepted a phenomenon that I like to call "The Chou Effect.". (That's pronounced "Ch" as in "Change" and "ou" is in the last two letters of "you") It doesn't matter that I decided to call it "The Chou Effect" thirty seconds ago, I still like to call it that. Musicians, or as they call them "artists", have decided that blur the lines between these two words "You" and "Chew" and make a new word "Chou". It really just means "you" and everyone knows that. Seriously, am I the only one that notices this? I don't think so. There are dozens of examples. I'll list just a couple, because I love these songs and they also are perfect examples. 

First: "You're All I Have" -Snow Patrol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RcP95XiSS8 Listen for the line "It's so clear now that Chou are all that I have." And yes, Micah, even in this video he's kind of a spaz. It's the hair. 

Second: With or Without You - U2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdlPjAJFIrw U2 was never very good at music videos. The line ought to be "With our Without you" But once again we here that familiar word Chou.

Not like any of this matters, but it ought to be said. 

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

10 comments:

Hayley said...

"U2 was never very good at music videos." Thank you.

However, Snow Patrol and U2 are bad examples of the phenomenon, cos for all we know it might just be their accents. I.e. all [meh, most] Australian artists make it impossible to decipher the lyrics because of the spiffilicious way they pronounce their vowels even while singing. And it irks that in songs, the "lee" sound instantly becomes "lay." Enunciation is not overrated.

What's the difference between a train and a teacher? Heheh, one says "Choo choo" while the other one says "Spit out the gum, spit out the gum!"

Hey, it kinda applied. Kinda.

Micah E. said...

"It's the hair."
No, 'cause Chris Martin does it too, and his hair isn't like that. I think it's the way that they orbit the mic.

I've noticed this before as well... ditto what Hayley said, enunciation is overrated.

Lis said...

Haley: "Enunciation is not
overrated."

Micha: "ditto what Haley said,
enunciation is overrated."

???

I don't really get to listen to music [my loss] enough to have a specifically related opinion... well, musically specific.

Micah E. said...

Haley: "Enunciation is not
overrated."

Micha: "ditto what Haley said,
enunciation is overrated."

Sometimes when I have a preformed opinion, I just assume other people agree with me. Even if what they're saying is the exact opposite of what I'm saying. I need to wake up.

(also, I was thinking about this and noticed a "cha" effect as well, as in "doncha" or Savior by Skillet)

Kay said...

I don't have much of anything to say about this post except for the fact that it made me laugh out loud. For real. Even though the room was full of people and they all probably thought I was crazy. I love your analysis on this.

Grace Joan said...

yeah

Singing coaches tell you to do that on purpose - it helps people hear what you're saying.
You can use "ch" for other words too:

"Joy to the world" = "Choy to the world" (etc...)



that and I think we all do it....it's just like how we say "I saw-ra dog on my walk" and not "I saw a dog on my walk"

yes?

Michael said...

True grace, true and horrendous ;)

Art said...

:giggles:

[mc] said...

The first time I noticed the "Chou Effect" was when I heard a Jesse McCartney song. It bothered me.

(Grace is mostly right, too)

Hayley said...

Mary Claire has heard a J-Mac song. *cracks up*