This blog is not updated often enough. This blog often has typos in it because I post too quickly. If you follow it, you won't be bothered too often.
RSS

Sticking to it.

So, it's more or less the end of January, and let's see how I've done with my resolutions.


1. This month, I have read three books. And The Hippos Were Boiled in Their Tanks, The Great Divorce, and A Grief Observed.

The first, And The Hippos Were Boiled in Their Tanks was one of the most despondent books I've ever read. It was written by Jack Kerouac and William Burroughs, so you can imagine what it was like. Lots and lots of drinking, and cussing, and . . . eating glass. It was disturbing to read, but it was also surprising how quickly you could read it. The words just seemed to fly off the page, and next thing you know you just picked it up for a moment and you've already read fifty pages. All in all, worth reading only as a window into "The beat generation" life.

The second, The Great Divorce, by C. S. Lewis, was a remarkable book. Probably one of my favorites now. It makes me look forward to a new world, but also more closely examine how I live this one. One idea that kept striking me . . . was that what I see as really beautiful, might in fact be really ugly.

The third, A Grief Observed, also by Lewis, is more like a pamphlet than a book, but very good. Perhaps I can't fully appreciate it because I am not Lewis, and have never lost someone the way he has. But it made me both think and feel.

2. I didn't pick this month to read the whole bible in a month.
3. I ate a fair amount of chicken at Masters :P
4. This has been more or less a failure. I've eaten a lot more Tomato's this month, but I haven't really liked them. In fact, at one time, I almost threw up because it was so revolting. I still hate tomato's. I am going to try this one again while tomato's are in season, and I can get them from my uncles garden.

That's all I've got for now, next month is peanut butter. Books on the menu: Phantastes, A World Lost, and That Hideous Strength, and possibly some others.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments: