This blog is not updated often enough. This blog often has typos in it because I post too quickly. If you follow it, you won't be bothered too often.
RSS

To love god and enjoy him forever.

I've been reading Donald Miller's new book A Million Miles in a Thousand Years for the past few days and I've gotta say . . . Donald Miller can really bring me down. But whenever he does, it's for a good reason.

In the book he talks a lot about living a good story, or what makes a story good will also make a life good. I won't give too much away for those of you that want to read it, but it's gotten me thinking about my life . . . or whether my life is "meaningful" or not. I'm afraid a lot of my life feels meaningless. Or I spend a lot of time doing things that don't seem to "help" me. Even my school work at times feels pointless, or not worth it. Even the things that make me enjoy life, or enjoy living like the books I read, or the poetry I read, or the music I listen to, or the walks in spring . . . these things often feel like I am living in my own head thinking all the time about living.
I want my life to be meaningful. So today I was thinking, what makes a life meaningful? The things that come to mind are saving peoples lives, or helping people out of poverty and starvation, or what Donald Miller has done: starting a mentoring program to help fatherless kids. But then I think to myself "So what makes life meaningful is helping other people to live?" It seems like a pointless cycle to me. Then I realized immediately what I ought to have realized immediately to begin with: The point of life, what makes life meaningful, is the business of making the world, and people, into what they were meant to be. What makes life "meaningful" isn't some solemn idea of "saving lives" or "feeding the hungry" at least not in the strictest sense. What makes life meaningful is making life beautiful. Making life wonderful, glorious, or in a word: joyful.
The point of life as a Christian is to glorify God, and the way we do that is by loving Him, and doing what He wants us to do. What he wants us to do, in the broadest sense, is do our part in making the world into what it was supposed to be, and part of that is making ourselves into what we are supposed to be.
That seems to make "meaningful life" make a little more sense to me. But all the same, I just want to live well, I still don't really know what that means. But I think I have enough answers . . . for now, to go on living in a way that doesn't feel "pointless".

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

3 comments:

Poetic Painter said...

Just don't be afraid to do what moves you, and you'll probably find life becoming more "meaningful."

Lis said...

"... I still don't really know what that means. But I think I have enough answers... for now, to go on living in a way that doesn't feel 'pointless'."

:beams:

Art said...

I agree with this post, a lot. I feel like I've been thinking the same thing too, that it seems like it makes sense, even though it's not exactly clear ("But all the same, I just want to live well, I still don't really know what that means").

Also, I try to imagine you saying this. I'm interested by wondering who you think of when you post on your blog.