This blog is not updated often enough. This blog often has typos in it because I post too quickly. If you follow it, you won't be bothered too often.
RSS

Bright Star

Yesterday I watched this movie, Bright Star. It is a lovely film. Visually it's gorgeous. I'm not sure I have much to say about the film except see it, it's worth being enthusiastic about.


One thing I particularly liked about it was how it was larger than the two lovers (John Keats and Fanny Brawne) who are at the center of it. The side characters particular of Fanny's younger sister Toots and Keat's friend Brown are fantastic. Toots relationship with Keats . . . gives me warm fuzzes inside (Micah expression) I wanted to hate Brown, in fact for parts of the movie I did, but he was too much of a real human being to be hated, with sympathy along with his selfishness, by the end I loved him as much as I loved all the other characters.

As it turns out, I can't say I really like most of Keats' poetry, though some of it is quite alright. Also, on a more practical note this movie has solidified my belief that poetry should not be a mans sole occupation but rather simply a part of his life. Keats and Brown spend the majority of this movie either sitting in their study or walking in the fields waiting for inspiration. I loved the movie, but of course I am always up for a good love story.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

3 comments:

Claviger said...

Interesting comment about poetry in a man's life.

I still think Bright Star makes for a better stage play than for a film... mostly due to the pacing.

Art said...

oooh! You watched it! :)

I like the changes you made to your blog, by the way.

Michael said...

Hum . . . that may be a good point, Christian. You know more about film than I do . . . it was a bit slow, but it didn't bother me personally. However, objectively it may make it less accessible of a movie.

Rebecca: mhm :) And thanks, I did it when I was forced to fix the header. I learned more about HTML than I wanted to know :P